All images are copyright © 2008-2013 Russ Martin,
(unless otherwise indicated). All rights reserved.


Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Stations of the Cross

I am not Catholic but I have had the good fortune to attend a Catholic wedding or two, allowing me to get a glimpse into the Catholic way of worship. One of the the things I could not help but noticed and found truly fascinating was the Stations of the Cross. I have seen these in stain glass, mosaic, carved, relief and many types of sculpture from classic to modern. The stations cover Christ's journey to the cross starting with Him being condemned to His death and burial. What I have been photographing and referring to as a memorial to Calvary is in reality Station 12 (Jesus Death on the Cross).

You can imagine my joy when I found these statuary's of the Stations of the Cross at the Shrine of the Holy Relics in Maria Stein. First off, I have not seen these in the day time. I took these at night using my flash. They are not lit up at night. I stopped down my flash by a stop and did some finagling in PhotoShop to achieve the affect I wanted. I entered this one in the Edison Photo Society Summer Show.



Click either of the images above to read what the Wikipedia has to say about the Stations of the Cross. To see all 14 stations check out the right bottom margin of this web page.

No comments: