All images are copyright © 2008-2013 Russ Martin,
(unless otherwise indicated). All rights reserved.


Friday, February 12, 2010

In the Hand of God be my spirit



As he was on trial and being prosecuted, Saint Stephen experienced a theophany. His theophany was unusual in that he saw both the Father and the Son:

"Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God." (Acts 7:56)



In this picture St. Stephen is holding the Bible with lettering. If someone can translate this I would appreciate it. It doesn't help that one word is fairly blocked by the window bar.

Kevin Hammer found this explanation: don't know Latin, but after some googling:

St. Stephen holding a book with the words he spoke at his martyrdom: A DE[SC AD DEUM?] SIT ANIMA MEA ("In the Hand of God be my spirit.")

Click the following Link for more info: St. Stephen

Picture taken at St. Bernard Church, Burkettsvile, Ohio.

This was originaly posted on Feb 10 but I thought it would be nice to re-post it with its new title and updated info. (Steeple Chaser)

1 comment:

Kevin Hammer said...

I don't know Latin, but after some googling:

St. Stephen holding a book with the words he spoke at his martyrdom: A DE[SC AD DEUM?] SIT ANIMA MEA ("In the Hand of God be my spirit.")

at this link:

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/italy/rome-san-lorenzo