All images are copyright © 2008-2013 Russ Martin,
(unless otherwise indicated). All rights reserved.


Thursday, April 12, 2012

Scallop Shell

The sea shell, especially the scallop shell, is the symbol of Baptism, and is found frequently on Baptismal fonts. The dish used by priests to pour water over the heads of catechumens in Baptism is often scallop-shaped. The scallop, too, is a symbol for the Apostle James the Greater.

Text from Christian Symbols Fisheaters 

I love the reflections of the church in the basin. 

Baptismal Font and Shell 
St. John's Catholic Church
 Fryburg Ohio

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What do ya know? I didn't know that...about the shell. At first I thought you were moving into a new genre of photography or something. This is beautiful.

RussDaMan said...

One of the things I love about taking pictures of the churches is discovering and learning something new. I have been to this church several times and this is the first time I took pictures of the baptismal font. Not sure how I missed it before.