All images are copyright © 2008-2013 Russ Martin,
(unless otherwise indicated). All rights reserved.


Monday, March 16, 2009

Interesting trip to Saint Nicholas Church (Osgood)

Window lit statue of Mary standing on the world with a serpent under her foot.I am counting down the days till spring and I am already enjoying the longer days. Today I took advantage of this after work and visited 4 churches. Two new ones and two revisits.

I didn't go inside on my first visit to St. Nicholas. At that time I was just planning on taking outside pictures and featuring only those churches listed on the Ohio Byway. Today I stepped inside and found a few surprises.

While I was taking this great window lit portrait of the statue of Mary I had the uneasy feeling I was being watched. I took a quick look around the church and didn't see anyone. It wouldn't have been the first time I startled someone in the choir loft.

Statue of Saint Therese holding a crucifix and roses.

Then my eye caught St. Therese (The Little Flower of Jesus) looking right at me. I composed and snapped my picture and checked my display. When I saw her eyes staring back at me on my LCD screen I must admit I freaked just a little.

Close up of Saint Therese statue's face detailing her glass eye

Closer inspection revealed that St. Therese had glass eyes. This was the first time I had found this in the churches in our area, or noticed it at least.

Staute of Saint Nicholas

This statue of St. Nicholas looks remarkably like the St. Nick of my youth. The resemblance made me do a little Google research. I found this website a good read.

St. Nicholas (Discovering the truth about Santa Clause)
WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS

The church held yet one more surprise for me. Do you see anything different in this picture of Jesus Crucified.

Jesus Crucified with four nails.

This is also the first time I've seen Christ Crucified with four nails. I had to Google this and found according to Gypsy folklore the four nails were the norm but a gypsy stole one of the four to be used in Christ Crucifixion. The first time I had heard that story too.

You can read more about it here: Nails of Crucifixion

I am really glad that I had another opportunity to visit and tour this church.

No comments: