All images are copyright © 2008-2013 Russ Martin,
(unless otherwise indicated). All rights reserved.


Wednesday, March 11, 2009

St. Remy Catholic Church (Russia)

I got a chance after work to visit St. Remy located in Russia Ohio.



This is one post with more to come later. I decided to make this first post something other than altar and stained glass window shots. The church has some great windows that I will feature in another post. Until then here is a close up of the Resurrected Christ from one window.



In the entry way I found this beautiful Baptistery and Jesus Baptismal picture.



Across from the Baptistery was this great Peita statue. This was taken with just light coming through the glass doors off to the right.



All the statues were recently restored by a local artist.
Click here to see some of the before and after pictures and to check out her website. Cameo Francis

The Stations of the Cross are large arched reliefs inset into the wall.



Station 6 Veronica Wipes Jesus Face

The entire set was worth photographing and I hope to do so on my next visit.



I really like this picture of St. Remy with the stained glass window in the background. I took several pictures before I stumbled upon this one.

The Main Altar had this cloth like curtain hanging in front of a mosaic stained glass window which created this rather unusual affect.



This Cross from on the High Altar also took several attempts before I got the picture that I wanted.



I snapped this one as I was leaving. The inscription reads "Je suis l'immacule at conception" - French for "I am the Immaculate Conception," which the virgin Mary reportedly said to St. Bernadette at Lourdes. (Thanks Kurt for the update)



This was just a fantastic picture outing for me. I am looking forward to coming back and taking more pictures.

Related Links:
St. Remy Church History

2 comments:

Kurt H said...

I've never been inside St. Remy in Russia, and I don't speak French, but that certainly looks like a Lourdes grotto. I suspect the inscription was "Je suis l'immacule at conception" - French for "I am the Immaculate Conception," which the virgin Mary reportedly said to St. Bernadette at Lourdes.

Great photos, BTW.

RussDaMan said...

Thanks Kurt, I updated the post. It was getting cold and all I had was a jacket. I just grabbed this quick shot as I was leaving. I did not have a close-up and was trying to make out the inscription from zooming in on the picture.

(Great Photos, BTW) Thanks, I thought these came out pretty well. I like it when I can be artistic and still capture the feeling of the church.