All images are copyright © 2008-2013 Russ Martin,
(unless otherwise indicated). All rights reserved.


Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Jesus Walks on the Water

In Matthew chapter 14 we have three stories. The beheading of John the Baptist, Jesus feeding the 5000 and the one here shown in stain glass -- Jesus walking on water.

Matthew 14:22-36
Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, but the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.

Full stained glass window of Jesus walking on water reaching out to PeterDuring the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear. But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid." "Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water." "Come," he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"

Close up of stained glass window of Jesus walking on water reaching out to Peter.Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?" And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."

When they had crossed over, they landed at Gennesaret. And when the men of that place recognized Jesus, they sent word to all the surrounding country. People brought all their sick to him and begged him to let the sick just touch the edge of his cloak, and all who touched him were healed.

Picture of stained glass window taken at St. Jacobs Lutheran Church, Anna Ohio.

3 comments:

ShariYS said...

Oh my, oh my, ohhhh my ... that's breathtaking! ... how many photos did you take in there? Do you have them on a photo-sharing site, Photobucket or wherever?

I recently had the pleasure of visiting what I think may well be the most beautiful Lutheran church in Toledo:
http://s480.photobucket.com/albums/rr170/shariys/Churches/St%20Marks%20Lutheran%20Toledo/

RussDaMan said...

Thanks Shari,

So far I have visited this church twice to take pictures. I have quite a few pictures that I have not posted yet. This one is just one panel of four on one wall with the opposite wall just as big.

I am working on setting up a gallery for the Cross Tipped Churches. I'll let you know when I get it up and running.

RussDaMan said...

http://s480.photobucket.com/albums/rr170/shariys/Churches/St%20Marks%20Lutheran%20Toledo/

Nice Pictures. Looks like there's no shortage of stained glass windows in this church either. Very interesting style of stained glass. You've got some real winners in the bunch. I would of left you a comment on some but I do not have an account.