All images are copyright © 2008-2013 Russ Martin,
(unless otherwise indicated). All rights reserved.


Friday, April 24, 2009

The Steineman Chapel

Brick wall with St. Augustine Cemetery sign.In The Land of the Cross Tipped Churches there are two chapel's that I know of. One that I have already posted "The Chapel in the Woods" in Maria Stein and this one The Steineman Chapel located in St. Augustine Cemetery in Minster Ohio. Inside the chapel I found a lovely book that tells the story of a promise kept to God that made a lasting impression.

The following is quoted from the book.

While the family survived two deadly outbreaks of Cholera in town, it would not be spared from grave illness for it's matriarch, Katherina.

Rustic old wooden beam Alter with Crucifix and elements of the Eucharist.

In the early-to-mid 1850's, John Henry's wife Katherina became very ill. Being a man of strong Catholic faith, John Henry prayed to God to spare his wife's life. John Henry promised to build something in God's honor should he answer his prayer. Shortly thereafter, Katherina recovered from her illness to the relief of John Henry.

Picture of Purgatory with Jesus on the Cross.

A man of his word, John Henry began work on a small chapel in the town's cemetery. Using brick from his brick yard, he constructed a 12-foot by 18-foot building. For many years it was used for funerals during inclement weather.


The Steineman Chapel with the cemetery in the foreground.

This chapel as well as the other one I've blogged are worth a visit if your ever in the area. I thought it was interesting that both chapels featured an element with Purgatory. Both these chapels were built after the Cholera epidemic so that may have been an influencing factor. From a photo standpoint -- I was there at the wrong time of day. This is definitely a morning shoot. Inside it was very cramped with limited shooting angles. I had to work very hard to get the picture of Purgatory. I still ended up with some reflection.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Living in Minster for the past 9 years I have never been in the Steineman Chapel nor have I heard of the story about it's reason for being there. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures and story.

~AMY

RussDaMan said...

Thanks Amy,

I was unaware of the chapel myself until I found the one in Maria Stein and one of the Sisters there told me about this one. I am always in wonder when I find these little treasures.